GayandRight

My name is Fred and I am a gay conservative living in Ottawa. This blog supports limited government, the right of the State of Israel to live in peace and security, and tries to expose the threat to us all from cultural relativism, post-modernism, and radical Islam. I am also the founder of the Free Thinking Film Society in Ottawa (www.freethinkingfilms.com)

Thursday, April 28, 2005

A student beats the CBC at analysis...

Here's a student at Iowa State University who's actually able to go beyond 'gender equity' statistics to do some analysis. Wish the CBC could do the same.
I have mowed a lawn once in my life. It took me twice as long as it usually takes my father, and when I had finished, it looked twice as bad. Not only that, but I also turned a perfectly acceptable pair of sneakers into chlorophyll-colored foot ornaments. Needless to say, no one ever asked me to mow a lawn again.

Membership in the so-called "weaker sex" is not without its perks. Not only can I count on one hand the number of times I've cut the grass, I've never had to change a tire myself. (In fact, I couldn't even buy a tire without calling my dad for help. The salesman kept asking me mystifying questions, like "What kind of engine do you have?" and "What brand of tire would you like?") I've had all the pleasures of fishing without ever touching the worm or the fish. And in three years of moving in and out of the dorms, I have no recollection of ever having hauled my mini-fridge from my car to my room.

Ah, the joys of being a female!

Yet, even from a position of relative privilege, some women still make claims of oppression with as much vehemence and vitriol as if they were still living in 1950.
Ah, I like her style. And why, in her opinion, are women earning less than men (she uses 77% as her base)?
Furthermore, the 77-cent statistic is a misleading simplification. It only compares the median female full-time income with the median male full-time income. It fails to take into account other intervening variables, like the number of hours worked (men work more overtime), working conditions (men work in more hazardous occupations), years of experience (men normally do not take time off to raise children) and education (men study more marketable fields, like engineering, science and math, and they receive more post-graduate degrees).

A ranking by the Jobs Rated Almanac shows that in the 25 "worst" jobs, men make up 92 percent of the work force. Ninety-eight percent of lumberjacks, 97 percent of construction workers, 97 percent of firefighters and 93 percent of garbage collectors are men. Low-skill, male-dominated jobs often involve physically taxing labor in harsh conditions with low job security. To induce people to take these jobs, employers must offer higher wages as compensation.

In contrast, low-skill female-dominated jobs, like secretarial or retail work, are of the less physical, air-conditioned, monotonous variety. Not surprisingly, they pay less.

This "unequal" distribution of labor and wages is not the result of latent sexism in society but the consequence of decisions made by millions of people with differing priorities when it comes to income, comfort, security, free time and family. Some people would rather chop down trees than take care of babies; some people prefer French literature to Physics 222. Their careers and income reflect those preferences.
I wish the CBC could offer her a job.