GayandRight

My name is Fred and I am a gay conservative living in Ottawa. This blog supports limited government, the right of the State of Israel to live in peace and security, and tries to expose the threat to us all from cultural relativism, post-modernism, and radical Islam. I am also the founder of the Free Thinking Film Society in Ottawa (www.freethinkingfilms.com)

Friday, December 30, 2005

Even a Toronto Sun columnist says Same-Sex Marriage is here to stay...

My sentiments exactly, in this opinion piece by Rachel Giese.
My dad and I don't agree on a lot of things, but we agree on a lot more than we used to. We've both mellowed as we've gotten older. My dad used to tell me that I'd get more conservative as time went by. What's that quote? That a person who isn't liberal when they're young has no heart, but a person who isn't conservative when they get old has no brain? The funny thing is, it's my dad who's gotten a little more liberal.

My dad's political views have been shaped by his life experience. He lived the Canadian dream and could be the poster child for old-fashioned Progressive Conservativism.

When he was 18, he immigrated to Canada with no money and very little English. He worked as a gardener and handyman, over time improved his language and eventually became an electrician. From there, he worked his way up to partner in a small business.

His success was due to a combination of hard work, intelligence and circumstance. Canada had opportunities and he seized them. He saw both his children graduate from university -- something he wished he could have done himself.

My dad likes no-nonsense politicians -- he was once a supporter of former Ontario premier Mike Harris -- and in another time, he would have voted Conservative in this election.

Like a lot of people, he's fed up with the Liberals, angry at their corruption and arrogance. He'd vote NDP, in a pinch, but he doesn't like his local candidate. And he won't vote Conservative. Why? Because of Stephen Harper's insistence on reopening the issue of same-sex marriage.

Last election, my dad told me he wouldn't vote Conservative as long as the party took an anti-gay marriage stand. He said it would be a betrayal of me and my partner and our son. I think it also feels to my dad like a betrayal of the values that Canada has come to embrace: Tolerance, diversity, plurality, compassion, and moderation.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that the Toronto Sun? Not the Star?

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why is everyone so afraid of a free vote in the House of Commons when they keep telling us the majority of Canadians are in favour of changing the definition?

Laurie

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home